Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wed night


So, I drop off some chicken paprikas for my dad/grandfather, and head over to the gun range to meet my brother and cap off some rounds (traded up a Kel Tec PF9 that I was having trouble with for an XD 9mm subcompact...sweet deal), but bro Diabl0 can't make it. I've been wanting to try out the new CC sidearm, so I went in by myself and fired off about 100 flawless rounds. Sweet gun. I have the 4" model in .40 with tac light at my bedside for home defense, and love it too.

So, I head downtown to Nautica, figuring to play the 7 pm tourney. I walk in and the place is EMPTY. Just the mgr teaching some dealers. I totally forgot they aren't open until Thursdays during the week. I hadn't been there since before my dad had his heart surgery, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

Gemini was closed and no one else was having a game, so I just went home and ate a plate of paprikas. I have enough to have for dinner the rest of the week, since I am only eating a single plate a night. Snacking on apples and salad. Gay, I know, but I weighed in at 187 this morning. That's 16 lbs down and counting. The gut is going away.

So, back to this sweet gun deal. I placed an ad at swapgiant.com that I was looking for that particular gun, after getting a full refund for the Kel Tec, even though I got it way back in October. That thing was a total lemon. Most of the reviews I read were great, and everyone on the gun forums I read liked it as well, but this thing would not extract spent rounds. No stove piping. They were fully seated, with gouge marks from the extractor. Still wasn't fixed after I sent it in.

I get a response from a guy in Strongsville that will sell me his XD for $425 (A new model is about $460 +tax, and there is a long wait list) or he'd toss in 3 extra mags with finger extensions and a Crimson Trace laser grip for $550 total. I didn't want the laser at first, until I looked up what they cost...almost $300 new. So, I got the whole thing for $550, sold the laser on eBay for $225, kept the extra mags, and got a $460 gun and about $90 worth of mags for $325!! Basically about $30 outta pocket after the Kel Tec refund. Ordered a decent holster for it which should be here in a few weeks. The XD is a little bulky to carry, and I still have the LCP for deep concealment, but I can trust the XD to go boom if I ever need it to. Holds 10 +1 or 12 +1 with the finger extension mags.

No comments: