Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Recap of the past 5 days





Fri 1/29 - made chili
Sat 1/30 - won first place for chili.
Sun 1/31 - up $397 at Gemini Columbus
Tues 2/2 - up $475 at Gemini Columbus

Got through about half the field in the deeper stack at Dave's (58 people...wow) but folded myself out of contention down the stretch. No love. Lost 3 - $100 buy-ins in the cash game. I switched tables because Jamie had a monster stack, but he was getting some hands. I paid him off on a big pot where I had AQ and he had KK, and flop was Q high. He even rivered a K. I gave Chan my last hundo when his A had mine outkicked. I showed him the A, thinking he didn't have one. I am 0-3 when showing Chan cards, so that is not going to happen again.

Gemini in C-bus isn't nearly as nice and new as the Berea location, but their hours rock. They are open just about 24-7 and had been running a few days straight when I was there. The first night I made my $400 in about an hour off a couple Russians. I got JJ on my 3rd hand and he doubled up my $150 buy-in at the $1-3 (yes 1-3) table. I got his brother on a couple small pots and the first guy again later when I flopped a flush against his top-2.

Tuesday night was a tough table. There was a $2-5 Nautica regular there (little guy, looks like Rod Stewart, always wears a funny hat and girlie sunglasses) and he was sitting on about $4500, and pushing it around. Didn't mess with him much. Another Asian guy bought in for $2000 and I was sandwiched in between, and left shortly after that. Anyway, I managed to chip up about $400, lost it all back after this old fat lady called $25 preflop with 10-2 suited and flopped top pr vs my JJ. What is it with women in their 50's/60's and 2-pr? They seem to play any big/little suited hands and always hit 2-pr on me. It's either that or they play every A. I got a big chunk back from her later though after she missed the same straight I was chasing, but i had also hit a pr on the flop. I scraped it all back to a $475 profit and left at 4:30 am.

The 2nd session was certainly the best, not only because I cashed higher but I played well. I made a couple decent moves and laid down decent hands a couple times when I knew I was no good. I also managed to get up when my little man told me to. As soon as the Asian dude bought in for $2k, and started getting aggressive, I knew it was time to go.

...oh, and another cool thing about the C-bus Gemini...they have free wi-fi, and an ATM. There was also a coffee machine, which I didn't see at Berea.

I was down there for the annual education tech conference. Fell off the diet for a few days as you can see. Mon night went out with my coworkers for dinner, then Tues I met a couple friends from there in town. My friend's former frat bro is the GM at Hyde Park downtown C-bus, and he showed us some serious hospitality. He must have brought us about a hundred bucks worth of food, including the 10" high carrot cake. The chocolate cake was just as big and weighed 3 lbs. Nuts. Needless to say, I was a little over on the calorie count the last couple days.

We also went to see The Road, which is not playing in the Cleveland area. Pretty good movie. Very bleak and grim. Feel good movie of the year.

No comments: