Thursday, January 19, 2012

New toys


Picked up a used Ruger LCR .357 last week. Got it for almost a hundo under retail in a private sale. Nice carry gun, lightweight, feels great in my hand, and I like the look of it. I didn't like its look when it was first introduced but it kinda grew on me. I wanted to replace the SP101 that got stolen last summer.

Took it to the range and shot 5 full .357 loads, and holy shit does it have some snap. Much more than the SP101. All the research I did said the recoil wasn't bad, but I disagree. Next I shot some .38 special +P's and they were much more manageable, as were the standard .38's. I have it loaded with the .38 +P JHP which should pack plenty of punch in an emergency. The .357's will probably pop my eardrums if I fire it without ear protection, and getting the gun back on target after all that recoil could pose problems. I have a bunch of .357 ammo, maybe I'll give it some more range time to see what I can do to lessen the snap.

EDIT: I just saw this, just announced this week. I might want one. http://xdspistol.com/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is a handsome little fella. Isn't the kick too sharp for regular shooting though?