Monday, December 1, 2008

2 straight first place finishes


Pretty good weekend! Played the cash game on Wed night and actually won $20!! Woo hoo!!! I'm going to have to throw a freaking party. There was also a guy with 1 hand visiting from NC, and looked us up on meetup.com. TK was sitting next to him, so I sent TK a text: "when you tell that guy nice hand, it's literal"...TK couldnt stop giggling. He then asked him how he lost his hand, and he admitted that he was trying to make a bomb. WTF??? Of course, TK segues right into "I work for an explosives company". Hilarious. Anyway, we had a great time.

Thanksgiving was great as always. I cook a mean turkey. Mashed potatoes made with Yukon Golds...mmmmm! Killer stuffing and all the other trimmings. Just had the family over. Grandpa will be 95 in 6 days. (12/7) Gonna have to take some chicken paprikas over for him.

I missed the caravan to WV on Friday, after all the hype. I turned off my alarm clock, happy that I didn't have to work. TK even called but I didnt hear the phone. Oh well, next time. Glad I didnt go anyway, everyone lost.

Played Dave's "deeper stack" tourney on Sat, and actually won it all. 26 players I think. I got VERY lucky a couple times. Put a couple great bluffs down on Matt G and Doc Donator. Folded JJ to Hacker before we got into the money. I just wasn't ready to get crippled if I lost, so I laid them down. At the final table I was all-in with A5 suited, got 2 callers, who each had pocket pairs. Spiked an A on the flop and that was all she wrote. Later, I had the pleasure of taking Chan out, calling his push with K-10 vs. his 9-6 suited. Flopped 2 pair. Buh bye. The biggest luck shot came later when I blasted Father Time to get us down to heads-up. I had an A4 off, and the flop was Q4x with 2 diamonds. I call the flop bet and get another diamond on the turn, and FT pushes. I had told him earlier that "next time, I call" after making a fold with middle pair. I pondered a few minutes and made the call. Flushed on the river.

Almost gave it all away to Hacker during heads-up play. I got him to go all-in after just calling with my AQ. He had A3 and nailed the 3. I dont remember what hand actually won it, but I got the winning hand shortly after talking about a chop. I wanted to play it out. I have had pretty good luck after refusing to chop. So much for superstition.

Being a $50 tourney, 1st place paid well...$590. Gave some back at the cash game of course. Misplayed flopping the nuts that turned out NOT to be the nuts on the turn. Shit.

So anyway, the non-existent POY race that Theo is keeping track of has me in the lead. The top 6-7 players are actually interested now that things are heating up. Should be fun to watch going into spring.

No comments: