Monday, July 27, 2009

Wild weekend

Lost $199 at Nautica on Friday. Posted some stuff I saw on the CPMG board (see The Chronicles of Nautica thread). Was up $150 at one point and didn't listen to my little man. I thought, "surely I can win more than $150 tonight"...WRONG!!! LOl...it was a dream table too.

Sunday, heads-up vs Jen. WOW...just WOW. I had 10's full of 5's vs her 9-5 (trip 5's), and didnt have her covered by 150. She won like the next 5-6 hands that we showed down to re-take the lead. I get her back down to 1000 chips, and still cant finish her off. She ended up winning the first match by crazy-stupid luck. Here's a couple examples...I had AK, Flop AKx, turn K, I get her all-in, river A, she has A-8...chop. I have AK again, get her all-in preflop, she has A-8 again, hits trip 8's. EVERY hand was like that. I think she won about 75% of the total hands. Slow-play my 2-pr and she drew flushes a couple times. Flop a set of A's, she folds. All my good hands were just timed badly.

2nd match, she outplayed me and hit some hands as well, although I did make a pretty good game of it. She just seemed to make all the right calls/folds. She won all the big pots and I only hit a few small ones. Nothing I could do. While I am not unhappy with my play, I am certainly disappointed with the outcome. It should have gone to 3 matches. What can I do. We played almost exactly 5 hours. That puts me at 2-1 in heads-up challenges. I'm looking forward to the next one. Either way, they are a lot of fun to play, and is always a learning experience. I switched gears a few times throughout each match, and each strategy worked well for me.

Luckily, as always, there was a cash game going. Gibran showed for a while while me and Jen were still playing, and ended up busting pretty quick. Uncle Bob was gone by 7pm as well.

Short story...up $1111 after 2.5 hours. Not bad. I got a little bit of everyone, and a whole bunch of Nick, Adam's roommate. On the first hand, I bet my top pair pretty hard all the way, and it was good. Got about $150 from him there. Later, I raise preflop with QJ suited, flop and open-ender, bet $20, and Nick min-raises. I call and hit the nuts on the turn. He bets out $50, and knowing he is incapable of folding even a pair, especially after he has bet, I make it $200 to go. "I guess I am all-in", he says. I guess I CALL! He had 2-pr (better hand than I put him on) and missed the boat. Stacked him for almost $400 on that one.

Made a couple of other great pick-off river calls against Adam and this guy Dave. Dominic was also there and I got him pretty good a couple times as well. Bought in for $300 total, cashed $1411. Certainly made up for losing the heads-up.

No comments: