Friday, April 17, 2009

Detroit rock city


Wow, what a trip. Here's a quick rundown...

Tues night, MGM:

Played tight/aggressive, patient, very solid poker all night. Built my $200 buy-in up to $550 over a few hours at $1-2. There was a drunk guy there throwing a party with his stack but I couldn't catch a hand against him. So I'm at around $550 and was going to be leaving soon. I come across KQ of clubs on the button and make it $15 preflop after a few players limped, and I got 2 callers. Flop is AKx, and it's checked to me. I make it around $40 and get min-raised by a guy who was pretty solid. He was in his mid 50's and had that Paul Newman/Color of Money look. I call. Turn is another K, and he sighs and checks, so I bet a hundo. He calls. River is a Q, boating me up. Sweet!!! He checks and I toss out another hundo, expecting a fold, but he pushes. He has me covered, and I insta-call, flipping over my boat. What's he have???? AA of course. PNWD. NH sir. I hit the road for the night, my spirit gone. He played it perfectly. No way I put him on AA...just a single A.

Wed night Motor City:

The computer system was down so the floor was scrambling to keep organized and doing an awful job, but they were still in better shape than Greektown. Got a $1-2 ($50-200 as they call it) seat after about 30 min. The place was hopping for middle of the week. BBJ was at $19k. A's full of J's cracked by quads.

Played the same solid game from the night before but was on a roller coaster after a couple hours. There was an old drunk guy that would build his stack to $600 and give it away, then he'd re-buy for $100, build it up, and give it away. He called every bet everyone made, and paid off everyone's hands. Except for ME. I put a bet out and he'd fold quicker than shit. I never once tried to bluff him either, knowing I just had to show any kind of a hand to get paid. Nope...I got a few bucks from him but not the hundreds everyone else was. I wish I could get that kind fo respect at my home games.

So I ended up adding on a hundo and went from being up around $375 to down $150, and played through the night. I just couldn't get up. Dozens of people came and went. I was in that seat for nearly 14 hours when I decided I'd better head back to the hotel to get a little rest and shower up. I left up around $300, leaving me up $100 for the trip so far. I'll take it I guess. Got back to the room, laid down for 45 min, showered, and went to class. I felt like TK in Vegas. Class was pretty tough to get through. VB scripting...loads of coding fun! I drank a ton of coffee to get through the day.

Thurs at Motor City:

Decided to head back to MC, since there were more tables going and plenty of action. The 1-2 list was pretty full, so I sat down at a $2-5 game until my seat opened up. Glad I did. 2nd hand, I raise to $50 preflop with QQ, got 2 callers, flop was K high, I bet $75, and everyone folds. I really tightened up for this table, as I only sat down with $300 and didn't have a ton of cash on me.

A half hour later, I get 33 in the BB and a few people limp in. I decide to make it $35. 2 callers. Flop is 10-8-3 with a couple of clubs. About time. I hadn't hit a set in a long time, and really felt due. I lead out with $50, and the guy 2 seats to my left adds a hundo on top. everyone else folds, and I go all-in. He calls fairly quickly with his slow-played AA, and my set holds up. He barely had me covered, so I double up. He re-buys.

Another hour or so later, I'm around the same amount and call $5 from the SB with A5 of hearts. Flop brings AJ2. I bet $30 or $35, whatever was in the pot, hoping to take it right there. I get 5 callers!! I am basically done with the hand and ready to surrender but the turn is a 5, so I lead out again, this time with a hundo. Girl to my left raises another $150. Everyone else folds, and I call. There was no preflop raise, so I am putting her on a single A, maybe A9, or even A2 for a smaller 2 pair. She would have raised with AJ/AQ/AK or a pocket pair.

River is a 3 or a 4. I check, hoping to keep the pot where it is. She goes all-in. She has me covered buy a few hundred. I just cant put her on a better hand, but think she may have caught the wheel on the river, but I call anyway. She lowers her head and says "I missed". Ship it. That doubled me to over $1700. She re-buys.

I'm up against the guy whose AA I cracked earlier and I have a baby A suited, I think it was A3, and called a small raise from near the button. I flopped a wheel, and the AA slow-player bets out, I raise big, he calls, and I push on the turn. He folds, showing 99 for an over pair. I show him I wasn't screwing around.

A few hands after that< i raise with AQ suited, and the girl who missed calls. I flop top 2, she bets, I raise, and she calls. Turn is a brick, she bets small again, and I push. She calls off the last of her $500 or so and mucks when I show my monster hand.

I played until the button got to me, folding everything, and cashed $2335 for a sweet little profit. Screw Greektown, Motor City is my new favorite.

No comments: