Monday, September 28, 2009

Saturday tourney win!

Got lucky and chopped for 1st Saturday at Dave's. I attribute this win to catching some good hands at several key points in the game. I also remained pretty patient, despite losing 3/4 of my stack when we were almost down to the final table. Luckily, the deeper stack allowed me to bounce back.

I did make a couple of great reads early on, against Colin, Dave W, and Tim (older Tim...forget his last name) when all I had was a pair. Just one of those gut feelings where the texture of the board screams "he didn't hit anything".

A-8 of clubs kept hitting for me early as well. I had 8's full and quad 8's with it.
I took out Gabe with AA against his QQ when the board flopped J-high. I just smooth-called his preflop raise, and knew I'd get all his chips if he hit the board. His overpair was un-foldable in that spot, and it worked out great for me.

Later, I just played tight and was very careful, but you have to hit some hands to win, and I was lucky to hit some flops. The final table took forever. We chopped for $470 each at 3am. Prowest offered the chop and he had me almost 2-1, so I jumped on it. He'd been hitting some hands all night as well. I used to think he was a tight player...not any more! He made some pretty questionable calls that had everyone wondering. But hey, if you are hitting everything, keep playing everything!

Gave back a hundo in an hour of cash game. Chased a couple of flush draws that didn't hit. No other crazy hands to speak of. Grayday raised every hand of course. All you have to do to counter his $7-8 preflop raise EVERY hand is re-raise him BIG. That'll slow him down.

No comments: