Monday, May 18, 2009

5 Questions for: MEATS


Meats has been a CPMG poker icon for a number of years now. Always outspoken and opinionated, he has a take on every hand, and has never once been wrong. He does however have great taste in chili.

He's never seen a tournament structure that he really liked, and in fine Meatsian fashion, he has turned my "5 Questions" into 6 questions, by adding one at the end. NH sir.

Nickname: Meat

Age: 28

Hometown: Cortland, Ohio

Hobbies: Golf, Fantasy Football


1. What was your first CPMG experience? I played in a Meetup game at Coleman's stuffed into his tiny apt with 30+ other people, half of which were new. It was alot of fun and I came back week after week. That was in the Spring of 05.


2. Prefer tourney or cash? This is a tough question. At times I much prefer the one over the other. But all-in-all, I think it is close to an even split. A few years ago I played in 40+ POY events and played every single 1-2 game Coleman had. I was one of the only people who would play 1-2 and the tournaments. But since I have to make a stand, I will say that I prefer cash games 55-45 over tournaments.


3. What pro player do you think you play like? This is a tough question. I tend to be very analytical, especially when I play a cash game, and when I play a tournament I am really looking to allow any skill advantage I have to come through. So I would say that in a tournament I do play alot like Phil Hellmuth, and I do occasionally blow at someone who does something really stupid. In a cash game, I think I play more like a Howard Lederer, I really look at the math portion of the game. This isnt to say that I never play by feel, as I certainly do. But I do let math dictate alot in a cash game, as I try to get the money in as good as I can.


4. 3 favorite hands? It was be easy to say AA and big hands like that, but that is the easy way out. Some of my favorite hands include 8-T and 7-9. I won my first big online tournament with 8-T, so it will always be one of the ones I look to play. Another hand I really like to play is QJ. I think that it can be really deceptive at a poker game. I try not to go nuts with it, but it can be a very good multi-way hand.


5. It’s the first hand of the WSOP main event, and you have bought in with every penny of your bankroll. One person goes all-in, and another calls. It folds to you, and there is no one else to call behind you. You look down at AA. What do you do? No doubt I call here with AA. Despite my immense skill as a poker player, I will not be close to the the best player in the room. So I will need to try and get as many chips as I can, and it is very unlikely no matter how long I sit around that I will find a better spot than this o get my money in.


6. (Briefly recall a great hand you've played) - ADDED BY MEATS...So it's my 2nd day in Vegas and I go to the Venetian and accidentally get seated at the 2-5 with Dohar and Diablo. There is this guy who is just running over everyone. A couple rounds in I am up about 100 when I pick up AQ suited and I raise from late position to 20$. I get 2 callers one of which is the crazy player. The flop is 9 8 3 with 2 spades, I put out a stand continuation bet of 35$, getting 1 player to fold but the crazy player calls me. He had over 800 in chips when the hand started. The turn was a red 4 and it went check-check. The river is a 2 clubs and I check to him. He fires 100$ into a pot of 130$. I was almost certain he had a draw, based on the fact he checked the turn. 6-7, T-J, 7-T, or 2 spades and all of those draws missed. I thought about it for about 30 seconds and slide in a full red stack of 100$. He turns over T-7 off suit for a busted straight and I say A high and flip over my AQ. The guy goes apeshit and he leaves with the UB pro on his left to do some coke.


1 comment:

diverjoules said...

Very good Rich.. Look forward to reading more. Have FUN in NC. I will be in MD.